Friday, June 23, 2006

Nacho Libre Reviewed



As I write this, so far the movie has grossed over $40 million. Danny Elfman was the composer for this movie, who has done some great work in the past. From the director and writer of Napoleon Dynamite, starring Jack Black as a Mexican monk that becomes the world’s greatest wrestler to raise money for the orphan children of the monastery. The antagonist is played by an ex WCW wrestler that went by the name of Silver King in the late 90’s.

Being a huge fan of JB, I had high hopes for this movie and I hate to say it, but I was greatly disappointed. The wrestling scenes were actually very good, as were the scenes with JB singing, but the rest of the movie was too much story and not enough comedy. Don’t expect your typical JB movie, which would normally have a barrage of puns and gags and physical comedy that makes you want to cry. This movie makes just makes you want to cry.

I think I know why this movie was a disappointment to me, as much as I hate to admit it. It was a Nickelodeon film, so their goal was to make the movie appeal to old kids and young teenagers. It just so happened that they suckered JB fans into seeing it.

Before seeing this movie I thought it would be impossible to put JB in a movie and not have him be funny the majority of the time he was on screen, but I was proved wrong. Don’t bother seeing this movie in the theater, and I wouldn’t even recommend renting it on DVD. Save your money for Superman Returns in IMAX, or Pirates 2. “Nacho Libre”, more like “Nacho Let-Down”. If you do buy it on DVD, you could always make Nacho Libre nachos on the disc.

3 comments:

ZukeMorty said...

Are they as good as Wes Anderson Nachos?

2000 Pictures?! I really hope Superman is awesome. That is all.

Bill said...

Yes, I really took about 2000 pictures, but only about 1/5 are good, 1/2 will have to be stitched with other photos to create one huge photo, and the rest weren't very good.

Anonymous said...

...and the rest he will use to make collages, while listening to Tori Amos or the theme from Dawson's Creek