Saturday, October 09, 2004

Michigan vs. Minnesota: Football in the Big House

I went to the Homecoming football game in Michigan earlier today, Saturday October 9. I don’t follow football; nonetheless it was one of the greatest sporting events I have ever been to. And I have been to some great events; Rams vs. 49ers season closer 2002 – Rams come from behind in the forth quarter, Front Row for WWF Survivor Series, and McGuire’s first game as a Cardinal to name a few.
I don’t know how else to describe the size of the Big House, so I’ll just state the attendance: 111,518. That’s a new football something attendance record. Fucking over 100,000 people there just to watch a football game!
It was a good game too. After trailing Minnesota for the second and third quarter, Michigan pulled it out in the forth quarter, scoring a touchdown to win the game 27-24. I was amazed that the crowd (and I mean EVERYONE in the crowd) chanted, sung, and booed in unison. I have never seen that kind of crowd participation and unity before.
So half my face is burnt from being in the sun, and my legs are a little sore from standing the whole time, and my feet feel like they’re going to fall off, but holy crap, what a game!

2 comments:

Bill said...

I am here on business until the end of October, staying at the Theta Xi house on Washtenaw and S. University. Otherwise I live in St. Louis, MO

Fitz said...

yeah, st louis is infecting the country with our terrible rap music and our boring hosting of presidential debates. i apologize in advance.

st louis is pretty nice though. prepare to be assimilated.